Friday 2 August 2013

STILL TURNING TO MY WIFE.



Paul I said fluently and the line went off. I knew I have lied, if it would have consequences I don’t know. We spent less than ten minutes at the restaurant before leaving and once again freedom was attained, let’s play! Our thoughts most times are very wrong. The same naïve girl I saw like an hour ago was going to be the woman I worship for the rest of my life. I got home late and I forgot I had a new girlfriend.

 A phone call from Humphrey brought back the reality. I gave him a gist on what happened earlier today and we both laughed about it. The humor ended with ‘brother, keep this one”. With a nod as if he could see me I said yeah.  I was confused all I needed was rest of mind from the desperate housewives I’ve been dating.  So Chidinma would be the liberator hmmm, let’s see.

In the beginning of every relationship, men tend to be very romantic. Some early signs that may look great also are endless compliments and gifts. I added one more thing lies. I wasn’t so sure I could be truthful to them again. I built everything on lies. I didn’t want any girl to know my person nor build a world that would never exist around me again. The structure was carved out that night after Humphrey’s call.

I had called her to check up on her. Her sister picked up her phone and told me to hold on. She spoke with me like one who knew who I was. She came on with an apology, telling me what she was doing. I jokingly told her how homely she was and how good she managed the day. Told her all the lies about Stella and how she wanted to force herself on me as if I was Dangote. I also told her how I spent all my holidays in cities of my choice (I had an atlas in front of me then) how I prefer Nike to Adidas. The TV series I loved are all foreign. Eba and amala sounded alien to me. I was just this guy who lied like she would never see me again. 

Diligently I finished my lies and the truth was about to jump out of the phone. I hate true confessions because it makes you look like a fool. For everything you’ve hyped, will be reduced. Many a times I say the truth not because lies has expired in me but I hate apologies and answering some questions that don’t count normally. I asked Chidinma if the phone was on speaker and she said no. she was in the room with her two sisters. They were playing also. Their names are Ngozi and Perpetua.

 I told her about my family also. I have two sisters and one brother. The first born is a girl married to a prince and they live in Paris. The second one is in England, she is a doctor. My elder brother manages a resort in Seychelles. I’m the last of the children of my great father.

I heard a beep on my phone, this means your call credit is about to end. I tried rounding up the stories and wish her a good night when she told me there was something she wanted to tell me. I knew tonight wasn’t possible again, told her I’m out of credit and she ended the call.

 In a few seconds my phone was ringing. She said she has credit. Okay I’m all ears. There are three things i despise in people that come close to me she said. Firstly, I hate people who are proud; proud people always get destroyed. Secondly I hate people who are lavish; they will always be in need. Thirdly I hate people who lie; they would have to apologise. I want to believe all those stories you said this night was from Paul, and there is no Paul. 

Good night Jude, Stella called me.

1 comment:

please write your name after comment

MY JAPA- STORY EPISODE 2

Ahmed and Awa dared to dream beyond their familiar streets, in the heart of Kano, wedged between the bustling Bompai Road and vibrant Kofar ...