Monday 29 July 2013

My Final Turn From a Friend



It was a world of hatred, betrayal, denial and pain. To meUyi seems the best friend I ever had and if I could see him in this act, it means the world hated me. I greeted my way into the house as I sat behind the two of them. They were lying on the Arabian rug in his sitting room, playing FIFA 13. Uyi wore a black pant same with her, all she could say was hello when I even greeted them.

My first love was Awa. It was just at the end of our secondary school days that we started dating. No one asked the other out. The understanding and love was from above and everyone thought we were going to the altar. I also thought so, until fate presented a new phase of reality.  Suddenly her father became very rich. 

Joined the political circle and the senatorial seat was awarded him. She was thus sent away to go school and she never enjoyed some thing we enjoyed in Nigeria. She had no experience of strike, nor was her result misplaced, nor did lecturers cancel classes, or not having water in your hostels or small ALUTA etc. she schooled in UK.   

When she just got there I was her only friend. Mindful of how Nigeria girls behave, she kept lots of eyes on me. People always tell her what I do, where I was, what cloth did I wear and they probably felt I was going to forget about her but the love kept growing. A particular summer break produced the breakthrough in all of these.
 Uyi was travelling to Sheffield to visit his relatives and I told him Awa was also in Sheffield. He agreed to stop by and see her which was to my favour anyway. That means new clothes and wristwatches, I needed some sneakers those periods and I bought some native attire for her through Uyi.
 He was there for three weeks and his arrival back to Nigeria was greeted like I was expecting the second coming of Jesus Christ. I needed to see what my love holds back for me.

I reacted like I wasn’t bothered so I didn’t go to Uyi’s house the day he arrived. I was there the next afternoon. We hugged immediately I entered his room and I discovered three weeks in Sheffield has changed his intonation. He now sounds like Sir Alex Ferguson.
 Before unpacking and giving me my things, my friend sat me down and gave me the longest gist I’ve ever heard till this moment . It was all about Awa and her new behaviours. How spoilt she is right now and the habit of smoking and drugs she has just elevated into. That she sleeps with all the rich Nigerians that come to UK.  The stories were unending. I tried holding myself back but without a strain of strength in me again, tears rolled down my eyes. The love I always had was disappearing. The world was closing up on me. I immediately knew I needed space. I stood up realizing I didn’t need the things she got for me again. I struggled home in anger and pains. I sorted out the things she got for me from the ones Uyi got for me. I swore I would never use her own things. I sat on my computer and composed a mail and sent to her and that was the end of the relationship.

Uyi was in my house the next day to confirm how I handled the matter and I told him exactly how I blasted her through my mails. I detailed the insults word for word and with a pat on my back he told me “nice one man”. That was the beginning of their relationship. My best friend is now dating my first love.
Is this right? ………..

1 comment:

please write your name after comment

MY JAPA- STORY EPISODE 2

Ahmed and Awa dared to dream beyond their familiar streets, in the heart of Kano, wedged between the bustling Bompai Road and vibrant Kofar ...