Tuesday 13 August 2013

DIARY OF A SINLGE LADY PART 6





Can’t be a punch bag for him. You might think Lawrence is a woman beater, noooo far from it; the experiences are more psychological than physical. I kept in touch with Lawrence even after the service so well. He is one guy I fell for after all my escapades in Benin City but the fun of it is that he lives in Abuja. Shortly, I was through with school and my graduation was attended by Lawrence and some of his friends. He bought me a Rolex wrist watch for my graduation and a set of bags. I didn’t know the worth then. I felt like a queen and the pains of all heartbreaks I’ve suffered in the school was all gone. He helped me work my service to Abuja and it took nothing than a phone call for me to be posted to the company of “his” choice. Three weeks in camp was enjoyed by everyone but me. All I had was four days in camp and it was with all apologies.  I hardly went to work because I needed to satisfy my man in all things before any other thing.

He never shows off like who he is, and never makes any hum on what he can do. He was more than I saw. He respected my family like he has paid my bride price and he calls my mum even more than I do.

 The Archuje family is one of the wealthiest families in Africa with the greatest investment house in the country. They own a bank, a university and properties governors cannot afford. I lost control on behaviour with my introduction to this wealth. The friends I have today are based on my relationship with Lawrence. No matter how cautious you are, if you are not born into royalty, you’ll mess up. It took a short while for me to know a lot of Lawrence, sincerely he was an establishment. In six months I was in eleven countries with him, I loved the managerial work I was doing. Four African, three European, Two Asian, two American countries welcomed me. The real me was now being established by a man I’ll bear his name for the rest of my life. I tried to caution my thought all through the relationship but the ecstatic feeling always overwhelms me. 

Lawrence was the most punctilious person I’ve ever known. I had once been fifteen minutes late for a dinner and his displeasure had spoilt the evening. You don’t go late for events because of makeup he always said. He made love the same way he lived his life: meticulously and very properly. Once, I had decided to be daring and unconventional in bed, and had so much shocked Lawrence that I began secretly to wonder if I were some sex maniac. He was neat to a fault and everything needed attention. He is so analytical in reasoning that I feel like not telling some things.  We could deliberate on a missed call for an hour or why are you awake by five am. With all these I loved him and he knew.

The pregnancy had been unexpected, and when it happened I was filled with uncertainty. Lawrence had not brought up the subject of marriage, and I didn’t want him to feel he had to marry me because of the baby. I wasn’t certain if I could go through with an abortion but sincerely who wouldn’t want to be a mother of an Archuje. I decided to break the news to Lawrence after telling mummy. Mummy didn’t feel any bad to my surprise. She encouraged and raised my spirit.  We had dinner at dunes continental restaurant and Lawrence sense of humor was extreme this particular day. He had greeted some Lebanese friends and two Alhajis on our way, thus I knew we were not there alone. I suddenly forgot my rehearsed speech as we started eating and wildly blurted out “I’m so sorry, Lawrence I’m ---- pregnant”.

There was an unbearable long silence and as I was about to break it, Lawrence said, “We’ll get married of course”. I was filled with a sense of enormous relief. I don’t want you to think I …… you don’t have to marry me Tracy, Lawrence said: he raised a hand to stop me from talking and slowly whispered “I want to marry you”. Tracy you’ll be a wonderful wife he added. Although my father and mother would be a bit surprised.” he smiled as he walked to the other side of the table bent on one knees and kissed my tummy. I love you Tracy. For the first time he raised his voice as he called the waiter. Serve champagne to everyone I’m expecting a baby.

When we got home I quietly asked why would your parents be surprised? Lawrence sighed. “Darling I’m afraid you don’t quite realize what you are letting yourself into. The Archujes always marry their own kind. I guessed they’ve already selected a wife for you. That doesn't matter; it’s whom I want that really counts. We’ll go see them next weekend, it’s time you meet mum and dad……

5 comments:

  1. This one is too short o, not fair, now I have to wait till tomorrow! But real nice. Its really capitivating Wole, please don't stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pls make the stories longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work bro, this is an amazing piece u av got. My friends and I can't wait for the next episode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... Brov, seriously... I'm captivated. Who's the new entrant now???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Niceeeeeee, cnt wait for d next episode

    ReplyDelete

please write your name after comment

MY JAPA- STORY EPISODE 2

Ahmed and Awa dared to dream beyond their familiar streets, in the heart of Kano, wedged between the bustling Bompai Road and vibrant Kofar ...