Thursday 15 August 2013

DIARY OF A SINGLE LADY PART 8




I asked what the problem was… never mind I’ll sort it out with madam he said. I thought to myself, how come you’ll sort out my problems, if any, with another person. But I wasn’t a full member of this family and my approach to the doctor might be a form of reprisal to them thus I kept my shut in anticipation.

We slept in the same room: on the biggest bed I’ve ever seen, big enough to contain six adults, with a vent I tried to locate. The room was just cold and there was no air conditioner anywhere my sight. I complained in the middle of the night on how cold it was and he reduced the flow but I still didn’t see the vent. 

Lawrence had a lovely sleep, I watched him sleep but I couldn’t sleep. I was thinking. I just thought to myself, why do ladies have to go through such humiliation in getting married to a man that initially approached them. I didn’t walk up to Lawrence, he did. So why must I be at the parent’s mercy. A thought came to my head; I’ll call off the relationship at the slightest provocation from Lawrence and see if he really loves me. If he comes after me…. then….. Then what I thought. In these episodes of thought I suddenly remembered I was “AS”. Could the mother come after us with our genotype as a problem? I know Lawrence is not “SS” but if he is also “AS”, then we stand a chance of giving birth to a child that would be “SS”. I did all the permutations in my head and immediately felt like calling my friend, Dr Linda. 

It was 4.30 am and I’ve not closed my eyes for once. I needed morning to come so that I can plan my next move. I became optimistic in my thought: how would I manage the conglomerate of companies when the parents are gone to the land beyond. I would be the woman to question anyone who is interested in marrying my son in the next thirty years. The pride of the Archujes’s crown of motherhood would be worn by me. The world would know ‘there was a woman who came, who saw and conquered’.


It was Lawrence’s kiss that woke me up. I had fallen off in sleep within my thoughts. Baby lets hit the gym, the instructors just sent a word.  I dragged myself off the bed and changed to a sport wear. Just three long corridors away we were at the gym. It’s a large room with all the equipment for shaping your body, like they were shaping your future. The room was also cold and how on earth would one sweat. I asked Lawrence: was this the life you grew up in? They wake you up to come to the gym? Instructor fashions out what exercise you would do, hope they won’t bath you? We both laughed as he said no now. I thought of my house where you must sweep at least thirty minutes when you wake up, then wipe the furniture for dust, get to the kitchen and make food for the house before rushing to school. And my parent expected all distinction. Hmmm they should come and see family. We were twenty minutes into the aerobics when mummy entered the gym. She wasn’t prepared for exercise because she was wearing her robe. Two ladies always follow her to take order and dish them out to appropriate corners. 

She came with a tone of motivation and a smile as I greeted her good morning. Her smile and wave was an approved one. She hasn’t been too bad but I was just scared of her. She was in for ten minutes before she excused me out of the gym. We walked the length and breadth of the compound that looked like a stadium. She showed me everything inside the house. Anytime I don’t want to exercise fully I just walk round the compound she said. That’s enough exercise you know. I didn’t say anything, all my responses were nods. I smelt something was wrong but I couldn’t picture it. The whole memory of genotype was lost this time with the beauty of the palace I was shown.

Then she turned to one of the girls and she gave her a note. We stopped and the ladies moved back, I knew something was going on. She continued; the doctor gave me a report yesterday saying your genotype was ‘AS’ and I guess you know my son is ‘AS’ too. I asked him the implication of this and he said your child might be ’SS’. Which isn’t a good one? Do you understand, I said yes with tears in my eyes. I just felt it, I wasn’t going to be favoured. I told her I never knew Lawrence was ‘AS’, which is the truth. My daughter, men are the weakest vessels, so you learn how to manage them. I called you and not my son because it’s only me and you that can manage this situation. What should we do at this moment? From doctor’s analysis, we cannot have this child.  Are you suggesting abortion, I asked? 

She took on another long walk, with an answer not relating to the question. Tracy, you are an engineer, who has never practiced and might never practice, if married into this family. Are you aware of that? I said yes. She showed me a calendar with twelve pages, those are twelve of the companies you’ll be controlling, and there is at least 35 staff in this compound at any time. Your husband won’t have time for them, you would. Can you add a child who is a sickle cell to all these issues before you? At this moment my energy was gone, she sounded like a mother who knows everything. I didn’t know what to do again. Tears rolled down my cheeks and in all submission I fell to my knees holding her: mummy what can I do? She held me up wiped my tears and said: my daughter we are removing this particular baby. Is that alright by you? I had no other option, thus I said yes……… Lawrence walked into the long corridor and immediately I knew I’ve made a mistake.

1 comment:

  1. The worst mistake she can make is agreeing to the abortion cause there is no way the mom will allow her son marry tracy.But who knows? Waitin for the next episode

    ReplyDelete

please write your name after comment

MY JAPA- STORY EPISODE 2

Ahmed and Awa dared to dream beyond their familiar streets, in the heart of Kano, wedged between the bustling Bompai Road and vibrant Kofar ...