Wednesday 7 October 2015

MAN OF GOD PART 1



The words came to me like a relief material comes to a displaced person in pains. Not that I was ever displaced but I knew what it meant when someone tells you through practical means that there is hope for tomorrow. I haven’t had peace of mind nor known happiness for so many years now. It has been a series of pain for me. Justly I didn’t know where else to run to. Crime came calling but the consequences beeped to my face every time I think about it. I have borrowed beyond my reach. I needed a bail out else I will be bullied out of my neighbourhood soon. I owed all that was selling in kiosk and small shops; neighbours, both friends and foe had my name in their creditor’s list. I wasn’t ashamed any longer thus I became hopeless. 

I wasn’t just jobless…. I was unemployable. I have squandered life beyond repairs. While growing up; I created a delusional life that never existed. I lied beyond my reach. I didn’t expect nature to catch up with me so soon. When it did eventually everyone I once lied to, I had to confess to later. I became so remorseful as if they could help but when most of them knew about how well I’ve lied to them; they distanced themselves the more. 

Two things the kiosk owners never complained about when you plan to owe in my slum neighbourhood is cigarette and pure water. (Sachet water). I have survived on these commodities for days now. The luxury of adding weight was lost. What I was considering was not loosing more than this. Old friends saw me and said I have trimmed extremely and I laugh within as if they ever saw me in any gym. Situations trim you faster than any coach. One will loose weight both physically and spiritually. 

 One day after watching the arsenal vs Chelsea match, one of the guys we watched it together at the viewing center called me aside and told me he wanted to talk with me. He had earlier bought me two bottles of HERO beer, a luxury I seldom grasp…….. He told me he was impressed with my analysis and that with my intonation it was obvious condition kept me here. He will like me to come to his church the next day for a week day service, maybe we can continue from there. As he was ending the statement he brought out two thousand naira for transport. Then tears started dropping from my eyes.
I haven’t held that amount of money in eight months and suddenly someone I didn’t know from Adam just handed it over to me in a view to help me………. I knew God has opened my case. Immediately he tried to pet me into stopping the tears party, the spirit of falsehood came over me again and lies rolled out of my mouth like I was speaking in tongues. It got to a stage I stopped and told him we will see tomorrow. He was so convinced about my lie that he added an extra two thousand naira. I walked him to his car as he gave me his card. I had no phone thus I was going to call him. I was so happy but there was another problem. There was nowhere to buy things to eat and drink in my neighbourhood. I had bills to pay at all joints. Some didn’t even want to see me again. I had to use one of my friends that has a worse situation than me to achieve this feat of satisfying myself that night. Before I went to bed I had squandered two thousand naira. 

I woke up the next morning with a terrible hangover. I needed to visit the bush for toileting but it was raining. I tried sleeping again but my tummy won’t permit. It wasn’t used to yesterday’s luxury thus it needed to expel some. I looked around the corner and saw Susan’s umbrella. We are not on talking terms because of ordinary N9000…… I sneaked to pick it up and off I went to the nearest bush to expel the waste product. 

As I was there I started thinking about Jeffery. How he was dipping his hands in his pocket to bring out money yesterday. I asked myself one question……… what’s it about his church that he wanted me to come and see or experience. Anyway I will go. 

By the time I got back home Susan has left the house. I kept his umbrella back where I saw it but another neighbour knew I was the one that took it. There will be commotion when she comes back but I will be in church by that time thus I wasn’t bothered. 

I tried all the combination of clothes I had and none looked presentable enough to wear to that kind of church. At the end of the day I fell back on my traditional attire. I used it for weddings and burials alone. Strictly for functions. Look a little tidy else you might never eat rice. The program begins by 6.30pm; I was there before 5.30pm. I trekked from the house to save the remaining change with me but I miscalculated the distance thus I was so early. Jeffery was very happy to see me and in ten minutes he has introduced me to forty people in the church. I was ushered to a seat in front and smiles surrounded me like I was in heaven. I looked around and beauty overshadowed my thinking and for once in the last ten years I had no problem. The ambience alone was a solution.

I was lost in thought until she tapped me….. Are you expecting someone or I can sit? I removed my bible expressly and the best curves in a woman sat next to me. She dropped her bag on the floor in front of her as she knelt to worship God. She prayed so well that I knew I was in the right place. I knelt down also but in two minutes I was done with the prayer. The truth is…… I have lost all relationship with the FATHER.

The Church
Not just a place of worship. It’s really supposed to be God’s house on earth. From the ushers to the protocol officers and all workers I saw that day, they carry a glory that solves problems. When I stepped into the church; depression left from the entrance. The beauty of the place was they seem problemless. It took thirty minutes for the church to get filled and the choir started ministration. It was a beauty to behold. I knew I was at the right place. All the ladies could be my future partner but I needed to be part of them first. I knew no song but for the help of the projector I followed suit. I murmured when I didn’t get the tune and the breakthrough session started when the choir mistress or so said hold your neighbour. I stretched my hands to hold the beautiful damsel beside me but she threw her hands over my shoulder. I felt like crying one more time. I thought Jeffery showed love before but with this act of hers, I was home……… and in my mind I gave the church a name “LOVE”


No comments:

Post a Comment

please write your name after comment

MY JAPA- STORY EPISODE 2

Ahmed and Awa dared to dream beyond their familiar streets, in the heart of Kano, wedged between the bustling Bompai Road and vibrant Kofar ...