Thursday 26 September 2013

MOTHER IN LAW PART 5




It took lots of convictions and grumbling before mama accepted to sleep in the living room. We packed her bibles and devotionals and put it beside her for consolation. The TV was on till morning; leaving it on TBN (trinity broadcasting network) to support the bible in the pursuit of the demon that is causing bad dreams. At the end of the day it was a sleepless night. 

Mama woke us up three times before dawn.
First time was like an hour after we left her. She knocked the door to our room and said she needed to pee. Mama, there is a toilet for visitors in the sitting room and you walk pass it to wake us up. I left her with Patrick. There was a second and a third; I wasn’t interested anyway. 

I was the first to wake up. I sneaked into the kitchen to make mama’s food for the day. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were made before 7.30 in the morning and I rushed to the bathroom to bath. I was dressed when Patrick came out of the bathroom and he started laughing. You’re running from mama right? Before nko I said…… the table was set and I was fully dressed. I walked to mama’s room and told her where she could find her food when she is ready to eat. I sarcastically gave her a hug with “mama I love you”. She asked where I was going and I responded. I have training. How many days is the training my daughter. Just three months.

This went on for the next one week before she finally agreed to the fact that she has little no control over me in my house. The second week saw Patrick travelling again. With mama still in the picture; the stage was set for the royal rumble. He was just going to Kaduna but would be there for three to four days. 

I called mama immediately Patrick travelled and told her the new rules and regulations in the house. I told her I don’t like noise and she should be staying more in her room. I explained how well I don’t enjoy her conversations that sounded like gossip or a trail to hatred on people I have not even met and on and on ……

The second day mama was up as early as 6 am. Immediately light broke up the day she called her driver and dragged her bags out. I walked into the living room to confirm what was happening. To my surprise I saw mama and her bags. My daughter I’m going back home. Ah mama, why now. You don’t want to stay with us again? I thought you’ll be with us for a while…. Mama I’ll miss you. I kept on saying this as I helped mama drop her things inside her car. My acts have worked out well and peace has been restored.
I called Patrick while mama was still in the house to inform him of mama’s departure back to Maitama house. He spoke with his mum and suddenly the call was ended.
I never knew mama had plans before; she hasn’t just said anything.

Men are the weakest vessels in the world. Everything and everybody controls them. Just a little trigger makes a man act up. All they posses are muscles (no brains).  Patrick had come back home with a weird reaction mood. Everything I did was irritating. I suddenly became disrespectful. He stopped eating at home and whenever I asked him what was wrong he sparked at me saying, I nag too much. The mum became the best friend. I tried to talk to him but it wouldn’t work thus I called my own mother. I told her what was happening and she called Patrick to find out what the situation was. Only God knows what Patrick told my mum, but the next thing I knew, was a family meeting on my case. I had to apologise to mama; one of the hardest things to do. But with my mum in attendance, I had to respect family values on respect. I knelt down for mama to apologise. She shed her crocodile tears again, and in my mind I knew I would do it again and again…

The peace we once had was restored again and I have my man back. It wasn’t a good contest between mother and wife, but one has to stand the case. I was serving breakfast one early morning when I suddenly started feeling dizzy. I tried dropping the plates not to break it but fell down. Patrick was scared as he hurriedly rushed me to the hospital. After many test and observations the doctor confirmed I was pregnant. I was happy and Patrick was happier. I am fully a wife now…… but the problem started when Patrick called mama to notify her. She gave a reply that she’s coming to join us to support. 

I don’t want mama around but little can I say now. I kept praying that she cannot come and my prayer was answered.  The first month passed without mama but the unanticipated happened when the Niger delta militants damaged the main pipe line. Most workers were summoned to bonny island to help in repairs. That would see Patrick leaving in less than 48 hours for a trip we don’t know when he is coming back. He can’t allow me stay at home alone in my condition thus he told mama to come. Mama came but with no bags and told Patrick it is better she joins me at the mansion. I stopped at a bookshop to buy books on learning how to stay with a mother in law and there I saw this book: THE POWER OF A PRAYING WIFE. I got that for myself but mama bought: GETTING A SECOND WIFE…….

3 comments:

  1. I love this story, makes me remember my life with my mother-in-law before she passed on. But she trained me how to pray. (Her behaviour made me to learn to pray and pushed me to find the book "POWER OF A PRAYING WIFE". Ever since then the book has been worrking for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please try and finish this story, we can wait loving the story can't wait to see happen .

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story is captivating.....pls hurry up and give us d next episode. Btw,my darling Matilda,God will fight for you.....I'll be praying for u sweetie

    ReplyDelete

please write your name after comment

MY JAPA- STORY EPISODE 2

Ahmed and Awa dared to dream beyond their familiar streets, in the heart of Kano, wedged between the bustling Bompai Road and vibrant Kofar ...