Monday 23 September 2013

MOTHER IN LAW PART 1






I have always heard mothers in law are hard to deal with; thus I made up my mind I would have the best. I don’t know how that would be, but I knew it was possible. The two guys I first dated have lost their mums, and I felt God was answering my prayers on how to deal with this menace called mother in law. 

Retrospectively I had the best mother in law, but presently I declare my husband an orphan. That woman to me is no longer living. She has become most miserable part of my life, and the reality of her existence all the time gives me pain. 

She was my best friend, a mother I never had, a prayer warrior and all you could need in a hubby’s mother. Patrick’s mum was an angel in disguise. I couldn’t believe a mother like her existed. Sincerely she was better than my mum to me. I was pampered in a house that I was about making my home. Part of the reasons the relationship got into marriage was because of Patrick’s mum. She had invited me for all events and occasions going on in their house. I was a daughter to her. From the first year of our relationship, she always supported me when we have issues, and gave me advices that I feel my mum lacked. She drew me so close that I changed my thought on mothers in law. When my friends find it hard to go see their boyfriend’s mum, I felt something was wrong with them. I had pleasure people thrive to have. I loved Patrick’s family house more than my house. I was a queen, and thus I was celebrated. I knew this would continue once Mrs Odeku lives. 

Patrick Odeku was a guy I met in a mall. I was hot and I knew it. He was also a fine boy and we both were rigmarolling around the whole mall. He was with a friend; same with me. I was game for a chat and a hang out, but my culture doesn't support me talking to a guy first. I waited while Betty made the first move. She moved towards Patrick to ask a question only God knows. She tapped Patrick from the back and he excused himself immediately towards me. He was polite with his greeting as he introduced himself. He was so straight to the point and his courage swept me off my feet like epilepsy. He rolled my trolley for me, and then I started picking everything I didn’t even need from the mall. He paid for everything, and invited me and Betty for a drink. Who am I to say no……… I blushed and played and sincerely that was one of the best days of my life. He didn’t ask me out but he never stopped telling me “you are so beautiful”. 

Betty found it difficult to relate with Julius, she’s the out spoken type but with her lack of beauty, most men don’t get interested. They both worked with Chevron and their cadence was special.  Patrick was not the perfect guy I always thought of as my Romeo, but honestly I will be insatiable to let him loose. We stayed a while at salamander cafĂ© before he drove me gently to my father’s house. Zone six was a place he would soon be visiting on a regular basis and Maitama was about turning to my home. After dropping Julius and Betty, he came back to my house. I had forgotten my other phone in his car. I gave a hug that sent a message across.

We spoke almost all night and didn’t deny the truth that feelings roamed our thoughts. I liked him enormously but there was going to be a problem. Patrick is a smooth talker and a ladies’ man. He has almost everything ladies need and that’s not a good think to behold in Abuja. The ladies here can fight themselves even for a cripple not to talk of Patrick. So I swore to protect my relationship with everything I can. 

The next few days were like honeymoon. I built up the friendship so well that I forgot I had female friends. He did everything I wanted, and I felt like a woman when I’m with him. All my friends and family knew there is a guy that has taken my breath away; but I know as much as Patrick we are still friends. Nine days after we met was the first time he introduced me as his girlfriend and I was shocked. 

We had gone to his house to pick up some documents he wants to send to a friend. As usual I sat in the car, and looking at the balcony I saw a woman reading a magazine at the balcony. It seems she was looking at me. So I came down from the car; with my two knees touching the ground, greeted her good afternoon ma. She replied with a wave and a prolonged greeting. 

When Patrick returned to the car, he was to bring me upstairs to see mum. I rearranged my clothes and checked my lipstick not to look too sophisticated. I walked gently swallowing the chewing gum that was now the noise maker, and knelt a second time to greet her. She pulled me up and hugged me while Patrick did the introduction. Mummy this is my girlfriend Matilda …… and most likely the last girlfriend I will have. The mum danced a little; like she was surprised at what her son said. She looked at me again and pulled me close. Matilda my daughter, how are you doing? How is mummy and daddy? What of your siblings. She was a mother. She prayed a little for both of us, as Patrick told her we are rushing to the airport to send a parcel. She got my number and promised me lunch the next day. I was dumbfounded as I said no problems mum.

The acceptance was subconscious, and with a first peck we were leaving the mum’s presence. As we drove out of the gate, I looked at Patrick and asked, are you serious about what you told your mum? He stopped the car in the middle of the road and said yes. I smiled and told him he should have said that to me first, and as if we were horny birds we started kissing. It was the honk from a trailer that gave us consciousness. We laughed as we continued the drive to the airport. 

We kissed multiple times that night in front of my house as I couldn’t wait for tomorrow to come. The lunch wasn’t the excitement; Patrick was it. The night was slow as I couldn’t sleep. I needed to be with Patrick but with his mum first. I rehearsed what to tell the mother tomorrow, and with my script I was good to go. 

It was 1.30 pm and Patrick was outside. He had called me and I walked outside with my baby sister. She loves chocolate, thus he bought the normal snickers for her. Seeing Patrick I got the strength that was missing and now I needed to know if this mummy is who I wanted or not.  The gateman opened the gate and Patrick drove in. We were chatting as we walked into the living room. Nine adults I later got to know stood up, and welcomed me to the house. The supposed lunch was converted to a feast all by my mother in law ……..

1 comment:

  1. The story so far is wow and is so touching. I can't wait to read the continuation. I really want to know what happened afterwards. Benny

    ReplyDelete

please write your name after comment

MY JAPA- STORY EPISODE 2

Ahmed and Awa dared to dream beyond their familiar streets, in the heart of Kano, wedged between the bustling Bompai Road and vibrant Kofar ...