Saturday 24 August 2013

THE SECRET PAINS OF A PROSTITUTE PART 6







I lost my breath as I saw them. I saw problems standing in front of me. They’ve not really changed much and surprisingly, how come I never heard their name from Peter. We exchanged pleasantries and went back inside. Debby asked me what to do, as I was panting inside my room. I told her to lock the door, and we knelt down to pray. I cried out to God to manage the situation for me. I knew something might go wrong or better, it could be in the same manner Engr Philips’ case went. It’s two days to our wedding, and I don’t think anyone can spoil his mind again. Both families have spent money, thus we can trash any issue out.

I picked up my phone and called him to check if he has gotten home. He picked to tell me he’ll call back. They drove straight to Engr Philips house for a chat and there the joyous moment I presume became a fallacy. 

Engr Philip welcomed them home, as his wife has cooked for them. They really were not hungry as angry. They sat outside, under the moonlight to discuss a situation that could guarantee the success of a family to be built, or better look further. With drinks being served in glasses, they started. Uncle: Peter cannot marry that girl. Peter asked why, Abdul continued, you can remember that time we came for Michael’s wedding, and we told you about a girl we met in Nigeria, that had sex with the two of us, and stole the money Uncle Philip said we should give you. Yeah, he said, that girl is the supposed wife you want to marry.  

It’s got a little more interesting as Uncle Philip opened up. The same girl called me some weeks after the wedding, telling me she got a missed call from my phone, and an affair began. She hypnotized me, that it took deliverance, before I got out of the problem. When I saw her the other day, I told her to come see me, and I spoke with her. She told me she had changed. And I believe so. 

Peter was furious and the anger was getting uncontrollable. So I’ve been planning with a stranger and a devil since, and I don’t know. That money that couldn’t make you pay for your international research is what she stole. She even came with that her friend Debby or what is her name.
Humphrey stood up and said; as the Lord lives that marriage will not hold.
Our friend should not dig his own grave with his hands. Beatrice is a devil. 


Peter picked up his phone, as he walked towards the gate and he called Beatrice. She asked for Debby to come outside the gate that he wants to talk to Debby about some things. His voice was subtle and reflected no violence, thus no need to panic. The drive to Beatrice house was with great speed and in twenty minutes, he was back to Uncle Philips house, for Debby to confirm what these guys were saying. Debby was fidgeting, and the fear of saying the truth was like a stab on her friend’s back. But she would try and do whatever to save the wedding. She and Beatrice had planned what she should say, in case they asked her anything. 

The confrontation was different from what she planned. Deborah did you come to Ibadan with Beatrice from your school then? Yes we did
Were you aware Beatrice stole some foreign currencies from us? She opened her mouth wide and said “let me not lie, she said it was you that gave her”. Uncle Philip looked at Deborah, are you aware I bought that Kia Rio for Deborah? Everybody turned to look at Uncle Philip. The same car that was bad that led to Peter meeting her, was bought by the uncle? Debby said “she told me her uncle bought it for her, based on her result”. Are you aware she has diabolical means of manipulating people? At these point Deborah broke down in tears and told them: I introduced Beatrice to use of diabolic means and both of us have stopped. Peter stood up and smashed the glass he was holding on the floor. He picked up his phone, called his mum and told her in all respect “mummy, I’m sorry for all the pains but I’m calling off the wedding” Uncle Philip would explain to you later. He dipped his hands inside his pocket and brought out a thousand naira, dropped it for Debby for transport as he threw his key to Abdul lets drive….. Uncle I’ll keep in touch with you and you alone. Let no one look for me I’ll be good. 

In all respect he picked his phone, and told Beatrice the same thing. Were you thinking we would still go ahead with the marriage after sleeping with my friends and family? You stole money from my friend, Money that was meant to better my life. It caused me to stay an extra year in school. Used diabolical means to extort my uncle, and now I’m next. Only God knows if you were sent to ruin our family. Beatrice’s wailing and shouts of NO! STOP! Called everyone into her room. My auntie grabbed the phone and saw peter’s name but the last thing she heard was “it’s over and I’m serious it’s over”

The whole souvenirs, aso ebi, food, drinks, and most especially joy for the family is all gone. I never knew one person can determine the joy of many before that day. Everybody kept asking what happened but how will I say it. The whole enjoyment lasted five years, and the pains to follow are likely forever. The whole street would now know my wedding was called off a day to go. There must be a story to that effect. I wailed and asked God why? But I’ve not gotten a response. I wished I never lived. 

His mother came to our house to ask what happened as Uncle Philip could not say it.  Friday afternoon I sat everyone down, anyone willing to know what happened and narrated my story. That is what you’ve just read in these six episodes. 

For the guys I skipped their names in this diary I’ve written, I’m not trying to deny you, I just didn’t remember. My private part was made public, because of temporary enjoyment. I’ve ruined a future presumably better than the past.  I am really devastated, and might die after this. Tell my story to young ladies, to 100 level naive student, patience is a virtue, greed is a devil, and prostitution condemns…………all I ever had is gone.

Beatrice 

Tomorrow  begins another series : A TRIP TO NOWHERE


7 comments:

  1. Choi! Mess up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely story line, but why did the writer switch to third person narrative. Also the mistakes with the names, Beatrice instead of Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  3. @suehill : thanks, we'll check your obversations and would serve you better

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely story but I think it is too predictable like a nigerian film. Great job though. I naturally hate happy endings lol like a disney tale. Few errors but I could still follow the story.wish I could focus and write like you. We need more twisted stories *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think there was any error with the name. The story teller is Beatrice and her friend is Deborah. Guess she switched to 3rd person cause she was not directly at last scene and was reported what she was told by Deborah who was on scene. Sad story if its truw !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice....lovely!

    ReplyDelete

please write your name after comment

MY JAPA- STORY EPISODE 2

Ahmed and Awa dared to dream beyond their familiar streets, in the heart of Kano, wedged between the bustling Bompai Road and vibrant Kofar ...