Saturday 4 October 2014

HUNTER'S TRAIL PROLOGUE



Pains and pleasures, love and hatred, peace and worries, fears and faith, joy and sorrow…. Mixed emotions I have lived with in this over thirty years of my existence but one thing I am so sure of is in all things I give thanks to God. From childhood to being who I am today, I have built friendship and caused hatred, made relationships and broken many hearts, loved and have been loved and sincerely I’ve had my share of heart breaks also.  The celebration is about to get jiggy as friends are so willing to share their Saturday with me in this new Port Harcourt city I found myself. But I must leave my fans with something so interesting on my birthday.
Exactly 10 years ago in the ancient city of Benin, there lived a girl called Rolly. She is an example of a beauty. She had a ideal shape and good looks. Her diction was perfect and her morals were on point. Her personality was heavenly as she can pass for the most decent girl in the city but something exposed the other side of her. She wasn’t all we knew her to be….. and in the course of my life I celebrated a birthday that got her invited and the whole episode started. Rolly was the pride of every man in the city. Daddies queued like they needed a second or third wife in her, uncles oppressed us at her presence and even pastors and reverend fathers acted like they have to lead her to Christ. But all these people were misplaced just for me.
The hassles of getting all set for a celebration isn’t that easy. Moving from one point to another and getting to make sure the dj was on point not to talk of drinks being chilled and food being ready. I didn’t know what a party planner was called then and the whole arrangement was based on little resources daddy and uncles gave me coupled with the little one i could steal.
I called all the girls I could remember in Benin and some guys so that my party could be the talk of the town. At 2 pm I had like 16 girls in my house for a party that was to start by 4pm. The dj started with some slow songs and the atmosphere was going to be turned up later. Dad and mum had left the house for me thus the whole essence was misbehavior. For the first time it took me close to thirty to pick the right cloth to wear and afterwards I decided something simple would be better. The sitting room was crowded which was against  our plans thus we controlled the crowd by moving them outside but I saw someone was struggling to get in. I looked at Susan as she was struggling to get in and I paved the way for her. In a bit the sitting room was cleared and there was free flow of human. Drinks were in excess and the whole house looked like a love garden. Sincerely I felt like Gatsby at one of his parties.
happy birthday storyteller

Girlfriends were beefing themselves as they all wanted my attention. Vera was with my room key, as Omo was wearing a jersey with my name printed on it. Zara was with my car key as Tina was coordinating the servers. All of them were showing relevance at a future that doesn't belong to them. Susan was on the phone as she stepped out of the gate and the entrance was a gift. I turned back when she tapped my shoulder and with a sigh of surprise; beside her was Rolly. I wiped my hands clean on my cloths to give her a hand shake but the words that came out of Susan’s mouth was “Hunter this is my gift to you on your birthday….. Take good care of her”. Sheepishly like a sheep led to the slaughter she came close to me and publicly for the first time in my life I gave a kiss openly.
The so called birthday gift was the beginning of what happened to me and I call this story the hunter’s trail. My name is Emeka Hunter and ………………………………………

No comments:

Post a Comment

please write your name after comment

MY JAPA- STORY EPISODE 2

Ahmed and Awa dared to dream beyond their familiar streets, in the heart of Kano, wedged between the bustling Bompai Road and vibrant Kofar ...