Tuesday 30 September 2014

SHADOWS OF THE PAST PART 3



I was born into a family that respected me a lot. I was the only boy in the midst of five girls. Male children are the pride of an African father. My dad was a successful businessman and I was the heir to his throne but along the line something happened. When I was seventeen years old also, my dad lost his sight. It was a painful experience for everyone in the family as we can’t fathom where this attack came from. The series of events that led to him loosing his sight were pathetic incidences. He was ill for over six months with no diagnosed ailment and when he finally regained his strength; he lost his sight. From that moment onwards we became very close. I was with him all day and he told me all the stories in the world. He told me how he met my mum and wished my mum was still alive to take care of him. I missed my mum also but I never said that to anyone. 

One particular day, my elder sisters came home with a lady holding a child that looked like an albino claiming he was my father’s child. That he impregnated the women and left her when he was doing business in the east. I heard when they were planning but didn’t suspect they were up to anything. They approached my dad in his closet and told him about the woman that just came from abyss to affirm the paternity of her son. My dad denied knowing any woman by that name and that he had no affair with any woman. The struggle went on and on as my dad said he wasn’t part of the play. He sent for his lawyer and made a will. I guess he knew he was going to die. Few weeks later he died. The funeral ceremony was the talk of the town and surprisingly afterwards the whole family was gathered to hear the testament left by my father. It wasn’t much of readings as all his companies and shares were given to me. It brought a squabble in the family as my elder sisters took to the court to challenge the rationale behind a father giving his only son all his property. 

The first of my sisters who challenged that died three weeks into the case. She was just having dinner in her house as she felt choked by her food. She started coughing and as posterity would have it; she died in the hospital not too far from her house. The other sister who also challenged the fact that I was the only son of my father died in the bathroom. She slipped and her head hit the toilet seat and she died also. Eight years after, my third sister tried to raise an eyebrow; she is also paralyzed and I don’t know how these things happen. Whoever tries to ask questions about the will, always have problems coming around them. 

You can see we have almost the same issues affecting us. Left with lots but has people trespassing. I called a property firm lately to look into the properties left for me and see how we can manage it. That should be done next week. She listened attentively and I could see it in her eyes that she felt so good about my story. 

Now that both of us has created defenses about whoever comes close to our wealth; let’s see who falls first. I stood up afterwards as it was now late. I was about to leave when she offered me to sleep with her. I looked at her and told her next time I would, but as for today I had to go home. That act really buttressed my story. She felt I was the real thing and in pity I looked at her and concluded she would be the one to give me those monies herself. I would never walk to any safe; all would be demands. 

She picked her phone immediately I left the room and placed a call to Thompson. He just left now she said and I think he is nailed already. He believed all the stories I told him about myself and when he told me his story, I believed what you said. That guy has money and property. I asked him to stay for the night but he rejected for a next time though which would be tomorrow. The sincerity in his tone was pitiable and I know I would soon end him. Just give me two weeks. 

When I got home I called Norbert to buy some weed that we could smoke. While chilling at the roof top of my late father’s only uncompleted building looking at the stars as we smoke, I told him the story of this particular lady I met. She is a multi millionaire. When she told me her history; I fashioned one story for her. The same story I told that girl that came with Thompson the other day. She believed immediately and in my mind I know I would squeeze her till the last dime. Homeboy …… we are made. Just keep praying for me. 


I couldn’t sleep all night. I was figuring how to continue the life I just lied about and in the middle of the night a call came through to my phone. I looked at it and it was Stella calling. I picked it up and acted like I was fast asleep and the only question she asked me nearly put me into confusion. Sorry to wake you up dear; please what’s your first sister’s name again? I can’t remember ever telling her my sister’s name thus I ended the call like it was network. I was about to mess up. What names have I used today…. I started thinking as the call came in again. I picked and complained about network. Then told her my first sister’s name was Mrs Janet Komolafe. She said okay, it means she is not the one. Good night dear. I replied good night. Immediately I sat up and pulled my laptop close to me to edit my life on the social network. Putting it on broke my heart as it showed low battery ………. And NEPA won’t stop misbehaving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

please write your name after comment

MY JAPA- STORY EPISODE 2

Ahmed and Awa dared to dream beyond their familiar streets, in the heart of Kano, wedged between the bustling Bompai Road and vibrant Kofar ...