Tuesday 22 July 2014

DECISIONS 3



It was Uncle Charles’s cool word that stabilized mum. He was called into this mess when it turned out to be a little beyond the physical. I recalled all the moments I’ve had with Desmond and I can say categorically there was none that he showed he had a child somewhere. Now Helen wants to leave, we really can’t keep her. I started feeling polygamous already. I know my husband to be has two male children or more outside our intending matrimonial home already. I’m about entering a life of struggle and the fear of what I went through in my house growing up is what I’m about experiencing.

When mum was fully stable, Uncle Charles called for prayers. Africans disturb God with their prayers and I know in heaven they would be tired of how lethargic and dependent Africans are. The prayers lasted for like ten minutes and the echoing amen were directed towards heaven. In Jesus mighty name we pray ……….. Praise the Lord alleluia. Now prayer is over, it’s time for action. I can’t sit here and watch my whole future crumble, and I don’t think I have that patience of waiting for Desmond any longer. I need to see him and ask him what is really going on. I’m going insane; I screamed and all attention was placed on me. 


I jumped into the back seat of the car with Uncle Bunmi and Uncle Charles in front. Ngozi never left me anyway, and Desmond’s house was our destination. We would be there in the next thirty minutes but suddenly traffic was up at the moment. I just felt something would happen… like I would wake up or it was all a kind of setup from Desmond but how come the child look a lot like him. Helen was so close behind, making the turns as we do and intimidating with the luxury of her car. 

Now Desmond’s house is in view. The two uncles at the front seat started advising me not to be naughty when we get to Desmond’s house. They still call them in-laws as if they are deaf to all that is going on. I didn’t complain nor did I say a word. The only comfort was those hands of Ngozi patting me regularly to stop me from crying.  We parked our car behind his car outside the gate and Helen one more time blew her horn for the gate to be opened. The stupid security didn’t even check who was inside the car, he just opened. The whole truth was about to be exposed I know but I was told to sit back inside the car for the case to be presented. 

I waited for like five minutes after they’ve entered and then told Ngozi I can’t bear sitting inside the car when I’m about to be judged. I would find my way inside. We argued respect for uncles a little but when I opened my door she knew she had to rush out with me. I didn’t knock at the gate as I normally did but pushed it open and like a tout marched into the living room. I knew I wasn’t going there to do anything stupid but I needed to see for myself. When I entered I saw a crowd I didn’t expect in there. Apart from Uncle Bunmi and Uncle Charles, there was a family gathered there with them and my entrance was about to change everything.  Desmond’s head was bent in soberness and then I knew he couldn’t deny it any longer. 

I knelt down to greet the parents and elders in there and sat beside my uncle. Tears kept rolling from my eyes and I wished I had done abortion before now to terminate the baby Desmond kept inside of me. Desmond’s dad stood up and acknowledged the presence of everybody. He continued with some adages and wise saying to calm the atmosphere. He expressed his regret for this day and said if not for his child he wouldn’t be caught in this kind of mess but not withstanding he had to do as a father. 

He turned to a lady seated at the edge of the room and started like this: you said when your oga go to work; you used to come and see my son in his room. And he used to give you money and promise you he will take you abroad. But now you are pregnant for him right. The dad turned and looked at me and my relatives and said my son just got our nieghbours house help pregnant again. That’s the sixth pregnancy case I’m settling in four years. Sheila my daughter; it’s your decision that I stand with. He turned and faced Helen and his son and called the boy by his native name and the boy ran to grandpa. I stood up as Ngozi supported me walked slowly outside. I was about opening the gate when a man barge in with a cutlass and his 16 year old daughter…… her tummy was also protruding………………………….

No comments:

Post a Comment

please write your name after comment

MY JAPA- STORY EPISODE 2

Ahmed and Awa dared to dream beyond their familiar streets, in the heart of Kano, wedged between the bustling Bompai Road and vibrant Kofar ...