Tuesday 6 December 2016

UNDER THE MANGO TREE 1



We all believe in visions. Dreams become realities and big dreams might sometimes become an invention. Being the first in a feat was my intention. That pushed me into so many activities from childhood through my teenage days and adulthood. I was brave. I took bold steps that even guys that were cohorts couldn’t dare. 


I had a sense for big things. I mean big things. When I had the first opportunity to express what I wanted to become in life; I told my teacher I wanted to be a pilot. She smiled and said that was more of what men do and suggested I should be a nurse. There was a surge in my anger that day. I felt being a woman was a disadvantage but I still kept pushing on. I had all the support I needed and I was more than focused. I knew I was going to make my family proud and I was going to be a name that the world will reckon with. I will break a lot of jinxes about the feminine gender. I was more than determined but the society I found myself wasn’t determined to allow my push to the next level.
To be a pilot one must be a graduate of a university…… I wasn’t favoured to be one. Not that I dropped out; I never had an admission. Not that I failed jamb; I never got to the point of writing SSCE. Not that there was no money to further my education but some activities that are societally orchestrated juxtapose the determination that I once proposed within. Being the girl child I suffered alone for the wrong of two people. 

Have you ever wondered how society view women? Infidelity sounds feminine and how the woman is the owner of the house. The African man can marry as many wives as he wants but the woman must sit at home in slavery and forced humility which is supported by all religious quotes from all aspects. Have you ever wondered how they used to flog women who cheated on their husband but left the guy they cheated with? Many wonders fill the atmosphere on the injustice done to the womanhood but none of it can be changed by me. 

It was the end of the year and many people came back home from the city. The local school which I attended organized an end of the year party where awards were given to the best students in all ramifications. I was one of the students to be decorated this very day. I lost sleep three days to the event. The cars were slowly driving into the town and everybody was amazed at how great this year’s party would be. Passers-by roamed the front of our compound chanting congratulations as the whole city has heard about my wonderful results and push for greatness. My carriage and countenance has greatly risen beyond mediocrity and I knew nothing was stopping me. Different sections were formed in school and we were assigned to different problems. There was ushering, traffic, I was in the protocol department. It was a day to the great event. I needed to rush to the tailor after rehearsals to check how fit my cloth was. The beauty of the event has played itself over and over again in my head. I couldn’t wait to be applauded. I was walking away from the school hall when the principal saw me and called out my name. I ran to his office as I greeted him and the two young men standing beside him. 

The principal introduced me first to them……… this is one of my brightest student. She is obviously going places. I pray nothing stops her. The young men nodded and the principal introduced them to me. Surprisingly one was a pilot. I asked him again if he meant a pilot…. And he answered yes. I forgot I was supposed to be decent but uncontrollably I jumped on him and there was the beginning of our escapades. That evening I was in his family house and we sat at the back in the big compound under a mango tree. He brought some drinks from Lagos and we sipped in tots. We were talking about the Boeing 737 when I suddenly felt a hand rubbing over my body. The drink was intoxicating but I was still in control.  It’s a lot smoother than our average palm wine thus a next gulp is always calling.  I didn’t think a pilot could be wrong also thus drinking with him was with pleasure. Finally as co-pilot we should be able to share a lot. Right there under the mango tree, I gave in. I didn’t only give in my body but I also gave up my dreams. From the squeezes to the whispers in my ear, my body started shivering and I felt a wetness in between my legs. I wanted to stop him but his hand was there and as the shadows of the night arose; I gave in completely under the mango tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please write your name after comment

MY JAPA- STORY EPISODE 2

Ahmed and Awa dared to dream beyond their familiar streets, in the heart of Kano, wedged between the bustling Bompai Road and vibrant Kofar ...