Monday 20 January 2014

MY CHURCH EXPERIENCE PART 3




What kind of joke is that I thought? Are those thieves really? As civilized as Maitama is, armed robbers? It was the second bang that quickened me back to reality. All the prophetic declarations of Pastor Jerry came back into my head as I started declaring but it didn’t work. It seems they were getting impatient but I was also. I needed to disappear before something happens to me. How would I make paradise I thought again? Caught in the act of fornication, I will now get to the gate of heaven wearing a condom. I really didn’t pay much attention to the thieves. With guns in their possession they are not likely novices in this act. I started talking to them and the next voice came through as: honourable open the door, we know you are there. I felt a little at home as I wasn’t the target thus I had to proof it before they prove me wrong. I felt like shouting at a time but I discovered my non familiarity with the area wouldn’t help. Ina all of these Nkechi was just shaking tremendously on the floor. 

I moved slowly towards the front door as I was talking with the armed robbers. I sent a message to John Brown. He is an assistant superintendent of police and a friend.  Just send a patrol team to blow their siren pass that surroundings I begged him. I started unbolting the door. It was done gradually and prayerfully. I lit up the sitting room as I opened the door and I stood to look at them. Those were the ugliest and fiercest faces I’ve ever seen. The first slap came as I was ordered to lie down and close my eyes. They asked of Honourable and I told them I don’t even know him. One of them stepped on my back as they went inside the room to drag Nkechi to the sitting room. 

The request for Honourable continued like it was a matter of life and death. One of them said I should raise my face and said, is this not Dami? I answered yes sir in fear. It took a while before I wondered how an armed robber knew my name. The next thirty minutes were periods of deliberation and rape. Nkechi was brutally raped by the first guy that stepped in when I opened the door but suddenly the siren came and stopped in front of the house. They started packing the little things they could grab from us and the idiot that mentioned my name said……. You Dami “if them born you well mention say you see me” 

That was the major problem. The police shot at them while they were leaving but caught up with none of them. I rushed to Nkechi’s side to help and her refusal was surprising. I came outside to tell the police we have a casualty. The men rushed inside to help her as she was hurried to the nearest hospital. The house was sealed off and investigation started. My car was also there as part of what would be sealed off. In twenty minutes, the Honourable was aware of the incident as he was present in the hospital with his wife. I was surprised at how an Honourable member would bring his wife to the hospital to see his mistress. Later I understood Nkechi was seen as a daughter in the house and that Honourable’s wife even loves her more but on the other side she is helping the wife take care of her husband. 

I wrote my statement the best way I could and publicly told everyone that cared to know that Nkechi was my girlfriend. It took two days for her to step out of shock and the shocking confessions shocked me more. She started with the fact that I knew the armed robbers. That I probably called them to come and meet Honourable in her house because she told me earlier that Honourable was like her father. That the armed robbers even mentioned my name and I looked at the guy. I gave them my phone not to implicate me after the whole incidence. I showed no resistance while she was being raped. I looked at Honourable’s face and saw rage like in no man’s face before. I knew I was doomed and only God can help me in this whole case. Something told me to run but I knew I would be shot at.
The whole love Nkechi showed me was gone and I knew I was in real trouble. What would I say and who would believe me. My world was crumbling and all the promises I made to my mum and my girlfriend in the village is about to be ruined by sitting at the wrong place in church. I remembered the usher who made me sit there. I was thinking of going to the gallery and now I have to explain what I knew nothing about. 

I removed my belt and I turned my trouser inside out. The police officer made records on what I had before I was sent into the cell for a crime that started by immorally looking at Nkechi during service instead of concentrating on God’s word. Could it be that God is punishing me?

4 comments:

please write your name after comment

MY JAPA- STORY EPISODE 2

Ahmed and Awa dared to dream beyond their familiar streets, in the heart of Kano, wedged between the bustling Bompai Road and vibrant Kofar ...